After eight years at Artspace, I’m moving to Victoria B.C.
I have truly loved my time at Artspace and the opportunity to serve as its Executive Director has been a time of real growth for me. I will miss the great Artspace team and being at the heart of Winnipeg’s creative centre.
The search is now open for Artspace’s next Executive Director. It is a great job!
Executive Director Position
For 30 years, Artspace has been an integral part of Manitoba’s arts and cultural infrastructure and a catalyst in the development of Winnipeg’s cultural heart, the historic Exchange District. Home to eighteen arts and cultural organizations, individual artists and the Artspace team and programs, the Artspace building truly is a hub for the Arts in Manitoba. We are seeking a visionary leader for the role of Executive Director to continue Artspace’s success and build greater visibility for the organization while delivering on the mission to create space for arts and culture to flourish.
As one of the first organizations in North America to co-locate not for profits, Artspace has gone beyond the walls of its historic building to become a recognized practice leader. This commitment to innovation and collaboration is reflected in the launch of two programs, Artspace Arts Management, Manitoba’s first arts administration umbrella and ArtSupport Manitoba, a fundraising capacity building program. Through the delivery of its programs, Artspace works with over fifty Manitoban arts and cultural organizations to improve their efficiency, effectiveness and capacity. Artspace endeavors to improve communities through providing support for the creation, production and presentation of art. Artspace values creativity, professionalism and excellence.
About the Role:
The successful candidate will be an entrepreneurial and dynamic leader with knowledge of program planning, finances and governance within an arts, arts service or related organization. They are an excellent communicator and have the experience and people skills to build relationships, inspire confidence in their team and with stakeholders. We are seeking an individual with excellent problem solving skills that is able to work autonomously and in a team environment. The successful candidate will be able to effectively prioritize and handle multiple projects and deadlines concurrently.
The Executive Director and their team have the unique opportunity to be a part of shaping the Arts and Culture landscape in Manitoba.
- Provide leadership to the Artspace team, support to the Board of Directors and day to day administration
- Manage building maintenance and maintain open and positive tenant relationships
- Develop program, organizational, capital and financial plans and work with the Board to direct and oversee strategic plans
- Represent the organization in the Arts community and to stakeholders including: tenants, the Board, funders, government, donors, private sector, the Arts community and general public.
- Grant writing and administration including final reporting for operating support and special projects
- Financial responsibilities including budget creation & management, audit process, collecting payments and making deposits and the management of investments
- Develop new relationships with donors and private sector partners as key stakeholders to support envisioned projects
- Develop connections and channels to create greater visibility for the organization
Key Performance Objectives
Enhance and expand the current facilities through capital planning and funding campaigns.
The Artspace model has proven to deliver economies of scale, maximize scarce resources and promote collaboration amongst arts organizations. The time is now to secure the future of the next generation of Manitoban arts and cultural organizations by expanding the footprint of Artspace. At the same time, the Artspace building, renovated almost thirty years ago is now in need of new investment so that it continues to serve Manitobans as a center of creativity.
Respond to the needs of the Arts community by creating and executing a long term plan for program and shared services evolution while maintaining the success of existing programs.
Artspace now delivers two administrative and management programs for Manitoban arts and cultural organizations. These programs focus on providing back office support and building engagement capacity so that arts and cultural organizations can maximize their offerings. In a short time these programs have proven invaluable to a healthy local arts ecosystem. This is an area of potential growth as Artspace is well positioned to respond to the needs of its sector.
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in a comparable role is required and Arts administration and/or not for profit experience is preferred
- Undergraduate degree in the Arts, Business, Architecture, Urban Planning or other relevant field
- Leadership experience at a senior level with the ability to balance day to day responsibilities while executing on high level strategic objectives
- Experience in the creation and management of budgets
- Compelling communication skills with successful fundraising track record and grant writing experience
- Demonstrated interest or existing involvement as a leader in the Arts community
- Exceptional relationship management ability with diverse stakeholders including tenants, the Board, funders, government, donors, private sector, the Arts community, and general public.
Are you seeking a career defining opportunity to make a significant impact on the Arts and Culture community?
Application Information: To apply for this opportunity, please submit your resume and cover letter by August 4th to Acuity HR Solutions at www.acuityhr.ca/for-candidates/
We thank all candidates for their interest; however only those under further consideration will be contacted.